Next phase of works and realigning the creek
While we continue to work with the community to design a concept plan for the site, we will be undertaking works to rehabilitate the site and restore the natural alignment of Yarram Creek. This includes bulk earthworks to remove the old water basin and realign the creek, scheduled to occur from May until September 2022, subject to weather and contractor availability.
The design work for restoring the creek will focus on protecting existing wetland areas and waterway health. An ecologist is working with our engineers to ensure the works achieve the best environmental outcomes, including the creation of habitats that best support birds and aquatic wildlife.
What to expect during works
- All works will take place on the Barwon Water site at the corner of Grubb and Swan Bay Roads, Wallington.
- Work will take place between 7:30 am and 5:30 pm, Monday to Friday. If Saturday work is required, this will be between 7 am and 1 pm.
- Earth moving will take place on site using an excavator and a truck.
- There may be increased noise and dust from construction but we aim to minimise impacts to local residents.
- There will be minimal traffic coming and going from site and we don’t anticipate any traffic impacts for surrounding roads.
- In response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, our timelines for completing scheduled works may change. To help minimise the risk of the coronavirus spreading, we will follow the latest health advice. For more information, please visit www.barwonwater.vic.gov.au/covid19.